Monday, February 22, 2021

Enchilada Casserole (Recipe 30 of 125)

I have very strong opinions about enchiladas. Mostly that my Mom's enchiladas are the standard by
which all are measured. I remembered times when mom didn't want to roll enchiladas so she'd just pop them into a casserole dish like a Mexican lasagna. 

This recipe reminded me of that. It's just layering what you would normally roll. I made it low carb by using low carb tortillas and to thicken the sauce I let it just boil down. Losing my patience, I finally added cornstarch. 

As I was eating this I kept thinking of all sorts of things to add to make this even better: corn, black beans, and olives. You can really make this very hearty. 

If I made this again, and I probably will, I'll use corn tortillas. Flour tortillas just get too soggy for me and I am never a fan of them in enchiladas. 

Enchilada Casserole
Recipe from MyRecipes.com
Serves 4

1 pound ground sirloin
1 c chopped onion
1 T butter
1 T minced garlic
1 1/2 T all-purpose flour
1 c lower-sodium beef broth
1 T taco seasoning mix
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
4 (8-inch) whole-wheat flour tortillas
1/3 c shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapeño peppers

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and onion to pan; cook 6 minutes, stirring to crumble.

Preheat oven to 400°.

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Sprinkle with flour; cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add broth, taco seasoning, and tomato sauce to pan. Bring to a boil; cook 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 1 1/2 cups tomato mixture to beef mixture; reserve 1/2 cup tomato mixture.

Place 1 tortilla in a 9-inch pie plate. Top with 1 cup beef mixture. Repeat layers, ending with tortilla. Spread reserved tomato mixture over tortilla. Top with cheese. Bake at 400° for 10 minutes or until cheese melts. Cool slightly. Cut into 4 wedges.


No comments: