Saturday, February 8, 2020

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy

I was supposed to make this last weekend, but the cost of bone in pork chops was more than I was willing to pay. Dad would have been very proud of me. Its not very often I pay much attention to the price of meat. I usually shop by recipe not by deals.

Thankfully I was in buying baby backs for Sunday dinner tomorrow night (which were buy one get one free) and in the case with them were 1.5" bone in pork chops...buy one get one free. So I did. Side note, between the two packs of ribs and the 2 packs of pork chops I saved like $30.

This was an easy meal and quite tasty. I'd make this again. I am not a fan of parsnips though, so meant to swap those for baby red potatoes. Only I forgot to put them in. So before serving I boiled up the potatoes and tossed them in the pot.

The "gravy" wasn't very gravy like and more broth like. Not sure you need to ever bother with the flour honestly since it didn't thicken up.  And now looking at the recipe I completely forgot to put the cream in. 

Slow Cooker Pork Chops with Mushroom Gravy
Recipe from PlateJoy
Photo from PlateJoy

Serves 4-5

4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" chuncks
2 c mushrooms, halved
1/2 yellow onion, diced,
3 parsnips, peeled and diced
1 c chicken broth
1/2 T sherry vinegar
2 T flour
2 T minced garlic
1 T Italian seasoning
1 3/4 lb pork chops
2 T olive oil
1/4 c white wine
1/4 c cream

Combine chicken broth, vinegar and flour in a slow cooker; stir to combine and remove clumps. Add carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic and Italian seasoning.

Season pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. add pork and sear 2 minutes per side. Transfer to slow cooker.

Add white wine to the empty skillet scraping up brown bits on the bottom of pan. Pour into slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 7 hours.

Cal: 358
Carbs: 23
Fiber: 8
Protein: 32

No comments: