Monday, June 10, 2019

Cowboy-Style Beef with Vegetable Ragout

Low Carb...It's hard. I miss my carbs.

My plan for the week is done and I'm determined to stick to it this week. One meal at a time.

Made this tonight for dinner. Made a few changes to it to use what I had on hand. Turns out it was fantastic. I'll make this again.

Cowboy-Style Beef and Vegetable Ragout
Recipe from Cooking Light

1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock, divided [JW only had regular chicken stock]
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 pound 90% lean ground sirloin
1/2 tablespoon reduced-sodium Worcestershire sauce [JW - is this a thing? I had no idea. Used my normal W sauce.]
1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
3/8 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 cup onion
1 1/2 can diced tomato [JW - I had a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilis. It really made this dish to me. I'm not a fan of heated up tomatoes (like fresh tomatoes tossed in a dish). ]
1/2 tablespoon unsalted ketchup
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh chives

Combine 2 tablespoons stock and cornstarch in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk.

Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high. Add beef; cook 5 minutes, stirring to crumble. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, 1/4 teaspoon salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and white parts of green onions; cook 2 minutes. Remove mixture from pan.

Add onions to pan; cook 2 minutes. Add 1 cup tomato and ketchup; cook 3 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture, remaining stock, remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt. Cook 3 minutes or until thickened. Stir in beef mixture, green parts of green onions, and remaining 1/2 cup tomato. Sprinkle with chives.

JW - So I put the onions, a diced carrot and the beef in the pan to begin with and cooked them together. Added the W sauce, seasoning and then Rotel tomatoes. 

Makes 2 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
317 calories
CARBOHYDRATE 12.
FIBER 2.0g
PROTEIN 26.0g

No comments: