Saturday, October 20, 2018

Pumpkin Cookies

Sunday dinner is tomorrow night. I've decided to make Mom's Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. More on that later. As I was going through Mom's little, gray, metal box of recipes, I found this gem.

I love pumpkin cookies. Unfortunately, most recipes have them pretty sweet and I like my cookies to not be so sweet.

So, feeling, nostalgic, I decided to make them. I have no idea who's recipe this is. I don't recognize the handwriting. It's so weathered, and used, that you can barely make out the instructions on the right hand side.  I love these types of recipes. The ones that appear to be so loved, and so used. You don't see this much anymore thanks to the Internet.

I forgot the vanilla in this recipe and am wondering if that's why it's not as sweet. These are delicious. I used shortening too. Albeit the butter flavored shortening, but shortening all the same.

That little note about "Do not double" - that's no joke. The recipe made 72 cookies!

Pumpkin Cookies
Recipe from Mom's Gray box
Makes 6 dozen - give or take

2 c shortening
2 c sugar
2 c pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 c flour
2 tsp soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves

Mix shortening, sugar, pumpkin eggs and vanilla. Sift other ingredients and add to mixture.
Drop onto greased cookie sheet.
Bake @350 for 10-12 minutes.

DO NOT DOUBLE

No comments: