Sunday, September 9, 2018

Hubbell's Spinach, Bacon and Apple Salad

Judy Hubbell was a long time family friend. She was outspoken, brash, stubborn, and so incredibly loveable. She was a tough lady who took no bull from anyone. I remember as a teenager when the "gang" would come together for TGIF and someone's house, the things Judy would say would just shock me. She loved me though. She was the ONLY one ...and I mean ONLY...who got away with calling me Jenny.  I never really did anything to warrant her adoration, other than being a kid and one who respected their elders.

She was a fantastic cook too. This particular recipe she made often. I hated spinach...hated it. She all but forced me to eat this salad and then gloted when I actually liked it.

I haven't made it in a hundred years. But tonight for Sunday Dinner it just felt right. Our theme was Soup and Salad and I wanted to make a different than lettuce salad. Enter this gem.

I toasted (or rather burnt) the almonds. I find they taste better when toasted. I also had slivered almonds on hand so used those. I don't think it really matters.

It's a must make salad.

Hubbell's Spinach, Bacon and Apple Salad
From Judy Hubbell

1/4 c olive oil
3 T red wine vinegar
1 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp prepared mustard
Salt and pepper
1 lb fresh spinach, no stems
1 unpeeled, red apple, chopped
3 green onions
Bacon bits
Sliced toasted almonds

Mix olive oil, red wine vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt and pepper together.

Slice red apple and put with spinach. Chop green onions. Mix all together. Dress with dressing. Add bacon bits and almonds to top.

No comments: