Friday, May 8, 2015

Herb Vegetable Orzo Salad

I've been making this salad for years...like almost 10 years.  It first shows up on my blog in 2009 but I am sure I made it for Mom and Dad's 30th wedding anniversary in 2001. 

At any rate, I made it again today for some friends coming to dinner. It always makes me think of summer. It's a refreshing little salad that makes a light side on a hot summer day.

Herb Vegetable Orzo Salad
Picture from Taste of Home

Recipe from Taste of Home

1 c uncooked orzo pasta
2 c frozen corn, thawed
1/2 c cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 c pitted kalamata olives (or greek olives work well here too)
1/4 c chopped sweet red onion
1/4 c basil chiffonade
2 T minced fresh parsley
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 T olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook pasta according to instructions. Drain and rinse in cold water. Toss it and everything else in a bowl and mix.

Refrigerate for at least an hour before serving.

Side note: Red onions can often get over bearing in a salad like this. I cut my onion in half and submerge the cut side in cold water for 15 minutes. It really cuts down on the onion bite and leaves you with a great texture and a nice onion flavor.

No comments: