Sunday, July 13, 2014

Layered Orange Salad

I've had this recipe for only a short time and have been wanting to make it. I'm pretty sure oranges aren't in season right now, but I made it all the same for Sunday dinner.

The combination of sweet and salty in this recipe is off the chart. The green olives saltiness really hits off the sweetness of the honey and the orange.

Layered Orange Salad
Recipe from Cuisine at Home
Serves 4
Photo from the Internet

3 navel oranges, peeled and sliced
3 T chopped almonds, toasted
3 T halved pimento-stuffed green olives
2 T chopped fresh parsley
1 T sherry or white wine vinegar
1 T olive oil
1 T honey
1 T minced red onion

Layer the orange slices on a platter. Toss together almonds, olives, parsley, vinegar, oil, honey and onion in a bowl. Spoon the mixture over the oranges.

A couple of notes here:
1. The photo I found clearly is using kalamata olives. Which I think would be just as good.
2. For the red onion, if you cut it in half and then submerge the cut sides into cold water for 15 minutes or so, the onion isn't nearly as strong.
3. I used the olive oil we got in Spain. It's tasty!

No comments: