Tuesday, June 4, 2013

BBQ Flank Steak

My college friend M came over for dinner on Saturday night. The MomUnit is also in town and all but demanded a steak of some sort.  Knowing M wasn't a picky eater the options were wide open.  I dug through one of my most recent Cuisine at Home cookbooks and found a BBQ Flank Steak recipe.  It comes with a Whisky Cola BBQ Sauce that goes over the steak. 

I'm a huge fan of whisky BBQ sauce. This one would have been good had I actually followed the recipe. But I got distracted and didn't. Shocking, I know.

As for the steak, I wasn't a huge fan of the rub. Too much paprika for me. I'd cut that back some the next time I made this. It was tasty though - but what's not to like about flank steak.

BBQ FLANK STEAK
Photo by Cuisine at Home

Recipe from Cuisine at Home
Serves 5

For the marinade, combine:
1 c cola (12 oz)
3/4 c pineapple juice
1/2 c cider vinegar
1/2 c whisky
3 T brown sugar
2 T chopped garlic
2 T minced fresh ginger
2 T Worcestershire sauce

For the spice mix, combine:
3 T paprika
1 T dried thyme
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp granulated garlic
1/2 tsp cayenne
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine all the ingredients of the marinade. Score steak and place in the marinade, turning to coat. (or as I did it, I put it in a Ziploc bag). Chill at least 2 hours, turning half way through.

Remove steak from marinade, reserving the marinade for the Whisky Cola BBQ sauce (recipe below). Lightly pat the steak dry.

Preheat your grill.

Rub the spice mix onto the steak. Grill to your desired doneness basting with the BBQ sauce.

Serve steak with reserved BBQ Sauce.

JW note: I'm not a fan of cooking down a marinade a raw piece of meat has been in. For that reason I doubled the marinade and set half of it aside to use for the BBQ Sauce.

WHISKY COLA BBQ SAUCE
Reserved marinade from BBQ flank steak
1/2 c ketchup
1/2 c diced onion
1 jalapeno, chopped and seeded

Boil reserved marinade, ketchup, onion and jalapeno in a saucepan over high het until thick, about 30 minutes. Strain sauce and discard the solids.

Use this to baste the flank steak.

No comments: