Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Chicken and Ginger

I'm a big fan of chicken, But let's admit it, chicken is boring.  I'm forever trying to find something flavorful and low in calories to make with chicken.  I've been successful 90% of the time.

This recipe is middle ground for me. Flavorful and good, but not something I'd necessarily die to make again.  I have so many chicken recipes to make that I would keep this, but make something new over this again. 

Still it's low calorie and VERY easy to make - and bonus - easy clean up because you use parchment paper to cook it in.

The recipe calls for jalapenos but there isn't any real heat in this if you, like me, take the seeds and ribs out of the pepper.

Give it try. You may find it's a good go-to recipe. 

Chicken and Ginger
Recipe from Everyday Food
Photo courtesy of
Everyday Food
Serves 4

8 chicken cutlets (no big surprise here but I used a chicken breast instead)
1 piece fresh ginger, peeled and cut into matchsticks
1/3 c fresh cilantro, chopped
1 medium jalapeno, thinly sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Lime wedges for serving

Preheat oven to 400F.
Place chicken in the center of a 18 inch long piece of parchment paper. Season chicken with salt and pepper.

Top with ginger, cilantro and jalapeno. Drizzle with olive oil. Fold parchment into a twist or envelop shape to not allow any juices to escape during cooking.

Place packet on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until chicken is cooked through, about 18-20 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.

[Jenn note] - so I went one step further and squeezed a half of lime over the chicken after it was baked. So good.

No comments: