Monday, January 14, 2013

Roasted Lemon & White Bean Hummus

I'm a big fan of hummus.  I'm not a big fan of garbonzo beans, which is weird considering hummus is made from them. It's a texture thing.

I saw this recipe on Tasty Kitchen and thought it look interesting, and quite possibly good.

Turns out it was good. Though I may, or may not, have gotten a bit over the top with the garlic. I don't think you can get over the top, but some folks do.

This recipe does require some planning aheads since you have to roast the lemon. I'm not convinced I tasted an "roasted" lemon, but I followed the recipe still. 

I also seemed to have out of olive oil so I used canola oil. I think that would make a big different in how this tastes.  So don't substitute if you can avoid it.

Photo courtesy of Tasty Kitchen
Roasted Lemon & White Bean Hummus
Recipe from Tasty Kitchen
Serves 8-10 easily

1 whole Lemon
2 cans (14.5 Ounce Cans) Great Northern Beans, Rinsed And Drained
2 T tahini
1 clove garlic, pressed through a garlic press
½ teaspoons cumin
½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 T olive oil
1 T chopped fresh parsley (optional)
2 T pine nuts, toasted (optional)
olive oil, for drizzling (optional)

Preheat your oven to 450 F.

Halve the lemon and trim off the ends so they will lay flat in an oven-safe dish. Roast for 20-30 minutes then remove the dish from the oven and let lemons cool.

In the bowl of your food processor, fitted with the blade, add the beans, tahini, garlic, cumin, salt, olive oil and a tablespoon or so of juice from a roasted lemon. Secure the lid and process until smooth.

Serve as is or dress it up with a drizzle of olive oil, a sprinkle minced parsley, some toasted pine nuts and a squeeze of roasted lemon juice.

No comments: