Saturday, October 1, 2011

Grilled Beef and Vegetable Kebabs

Kebabs are standard grill fare.  And are one of my favorite things to make with beef and chicken.  When I have a marinade recipe, I'll often cube the meat and marinade it that way. More meat surface gets the marinade, then I put them on skewers and grill. Yum.

This recipe was super, SUPER easy and flavorful. The marinade is a very common marinade and is used a lot in grilling recipes.

I adjusted the vegetables of this recipe since I'm not a fan of bell peppers. I used zucchini instead. Just as colorful and just as tasty - in my opinion.

Grilled Beef and Vegetable Kebabs
Serves 2

  • 1/3 c olive oil
  • 1/4 c soy sauce (I use low sodium soy sauce for cooking. It allows me to control the sodium.)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 1 lb steak tips, poked all over with a fork and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
  • 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks (I used zucchini here)
  • 1 small red onion, cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
  • 5 ounces white mushrooms, stemmed

Mix oil, soy, garlic and pepper together in a large microwave safe bowl. Measure 1/4 c of the soy sauce mixture and transfer to a large zip loc bag.  Add steak tips to the marinade, turn to coat.  Marinade steak tips in the fridge for at least 1 hour and up to 2 hours.

Add bell pepper, onion and mushrooms to the bowl with the remaining marinade and toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate at room temp for 30 minutes.

Microwave the vegetables on high until the onions begin to soften and turn translucent at the edges, 3-5 minutes, stirring half way through.  Remove the plastic wrap from the bowl (be careful of steam) and set aside until the meat is finished marinating.

Jenn Note: Needless to say I did not cook my vegetables in a microwave.  I did marinate them, but I didn't want to precook them and I just grilled them with the meat. Turned out fine.

Thread the meat and vegetables onto skewers, starting and ending with meat.  It makes about 4 12 inch skewers. Grill to your desired doneness.

No comments: