Friday, June 4, 2010

Asian Beef Skewers

I love me some Asian flavor. Usually it involves some ginger, some lime, some rice wine vinegar, some brown sugar...and all that combined is yummy goodness.

This recipe, however, had some unexpected items in it. Not unexpected as in "I don't have them in my pantry" but rather as "really?" The end result was yummy goodness. Which is, in my humble opinion, the reason I cook.

Now if you've a keen eye, you may notice that the photo is of chicken, not beef. Chicken is what I had on hand, and I've gotta say, after doing chicken with this, I now feel the need to try it with beef.

Asian Beef Skewers
  • Coarse salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste
  • 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin beef or shell steak, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes

So the recipe calls for mixing all this stuff together and then basting the meat as you go. I decided to take about a quarter cup or so and marinade the chicken in it for 30 minutes or so. Then I didn't baste until I took the chicken off the grill and it was resting.

In a small bowl, whisk together honey, brown sugar, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar, curry paste, and 1 tablespoon oil. Reserve half the sauce for serving.

Thread beef, and any vegi types on a skewer. Place on prepared baking sheet, and brush with sauce.

Heat broiler, with rack set 4 inches from heat; line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil. Soak four 12-inch (or eight 6-inch) wooden skewers in a pan of warm water; set aside. JW Note: I BBQ'd mine. Why broil when you can BBQ.

No comments: