Monday, September 28, 2009

Yogurt Marinated Chicken

There's something about marinating chicken in yogurt. Every single recipe I've tried I love it. I am a big chicken breast fan. And marinating with yogurt almost guarantees I will have a juicy chicken breast.

I had to search several stores for Garam Masala spice...ended up finding in my local grocery store just 1/2 a block away. Go figure. Love this spice. Love the smell and the flavor. I have to watch myself though because I know I could go overboard with it.

One thing about this recipe, you have to plan. It calls for 8 hour to one day of marinating.

Yogurt Marinated Chicken
Serves: 4
  • 1 large White onion, 1/2 chopped, 1/2 thinly sliced
  • 3 cloves Garlic, smashed
  • 5 tablespoons Fresh lemon juice
  • 3 tablespoons Chopped peeled ginger
  • 1 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 teaspoon Garam masala
  • 8 Skinless chicken drumsticks
  • 2 teaspoons Olive oil, plus more for grates
  • 1 Cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded and sliced crosswise
  • 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro
  • Naan or pita for serving
1. In a blender, combine chopped onion, garlic, 3 tablespoons lemon juice, and ginger. Puree until smooth, scraping down sides of blender as necessary, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a large bowl and stir in yogurt, garam masala, 2 teaspoons salt, and teaspoon pepper. Add chicken and toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate at least 8 hours (or up to 1 day).

2. Heat grill to medium; clean and oil hot grates. Remove chicken from marinade, wiping off excess. Grill chicken until cooked through, 12 to 14 minutes, turning occasionally.

3. In a small bowl, combine cucumber, sliced onion, cilantro, oil, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; season cucumber salad with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with salad and naan if desired.

No comments: