Thursday, June 11, 2009

Thai Rice Noodles

I can always tell when I got into a recipe because the recipe is usually covered with splatters, spills and gunk from the cooking. As simple as this recipe was, I'm shocked to look at the page in my cookbook.

Despite that, it was delicious. I'm a big fan of Thai food in general. But I usually don't like how heavy it can be. This recipe allowed me to have the Thai flavor without the heft.

I use Fish Sauce in so many recipes I cook that I thought it might be good if I described it and what I think about it. It's a Southeast Asian equivalent of Worcestershire sauce. It has a pungent, salt flavor to it and adds a hit of complexity to most dishes. The best part of it is despite it's name it doesn't taste fishy - instead it has a unique, unmistakably authentic flavor to it. Fish sauce actually is derived by fish that has been fermented...great rotting fish. It got an amber, translucent look to it and you can find it in most supermarkets around the Asian food. We have several Asian markets in our area so I usually buy it there. It's way less expensive.

Thai Rice Noodles
Serves 4

  • 8-10 ounces medium thick rice noodles
  • 3 T Fish Sauce
  • 3 T Sugar (I used brown sugar cuz I like it better with these flavors)
  • 3 T Soy Sauce
  • 4 scallions
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 2 T Peanut oil
  • 1 cup bean sprouts
  • 2 handfuls fresh basil (mint can also be used)
  • 1/2 cup peanuts or cashews
  • 1 lime

Put the rice noodles in a bowl with hot water to cover. Soak until tender and pliable, about 30 minutes. (Or follow the instructions on the box if you have them).

Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk together the fish sauce, sugar and soy sauce. Set aside.

Thinly slice the white and green parts of the scallions. Set aside.
Roughly chop the jalapeno (seed it first - or leave the seeds in if you want the heat), set aside.
Roughly chop the garlic. Set aside.

Drain the noodles and set aside. Heat the oil in a wok until hot. Add scallions, jalapenos, and garlic. Sauté for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Do not over cook the garlic. Add the sauce mixture; gently swirl around the pan. Add the noodles and toss t ocoat. Remove from the heat and coarsely tear basil (or mint). Sprinkle with nuts and squeeze lime over it if you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

We have just added your latest post "Sugar, & Spice & Everything Nice: THAI RICE NOODLES" to our Food Directory . You can check the inclusion of the post here . We are delighted to invite you to submit all your future posts to the directory for getting a huge base of visitors to your website and gaining a valuable backlink to your site.


Warm Regards

foodnrecipes.info Team

http://www.foodnrecipes.info