Monday, June 22, 2009

Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce

This recipe was surprisingly good. I'm not a huge pepper fan, well bell pepper anyhow. But for some reason that only my brain understands, I really like the flavor of poblanos. I've wanted, for some time, to try a recipe with them. And thankfully I found an easy and tasty recipe.

My biggest thrill was roasting the poblano over my gas stove. I felt like I couldn't do this recipe in the past because I didn't have a gas stove. It was only as I was roasting it I thought, "Huh, I suppose I could have used the BBQ."

The dish sounds like it should be spicy, but roasting the pepper takes some of the heat away. In fact, I was surprised at how sweet the sauce was. I'd actually prefer it to have a bit more of a kick to it. The only thing I'd change about this is I'd use 1/2 and 1/2 next time. The heavy cream made it too sweet. I served this with white rice that I had chopped cilantro and green onions into. It made a nice accompaniment.


Chicken with Poblano Cream Sauce
Serves 4

  • 1 poblano chile
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1/2 small onion, chopped
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/3 cup heavy cream
  • Coarse salt and ground pepper
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts

Roast chili over a gas burner or under the broiler, until charred all over. Wrap in paper towel; steam 5 minutes. Rub off skin; remove seeds and ribs. Chop coarsely.

Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; add onion and garlic; cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add chili and cream.

Puree in blender; add water if too thick. Season with salt and pepper.

Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Heat remaining tablespoon canola oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken until golden and juices run clear, 4 to 5 minutes per side. Serve with sauce.

No comments: