Monday, January 15, 2007

Pasta da Vinci

A week ago, I met an old high school friend at the Cheesecake Factory. Jenny and I split a pasta dish called Pasta DaVinci. It was quite possibly the best pasta dish I've had in ages. And so, me, being me, headed to the world wide web to find a recipe. I found two. And in Jenn fashion I combined them two recipes to one FABULOUS recipe.

Enjoy

PASTA DA VINCI
Serves 4
  • 1 box Penne Pasta ( I used the mini penne)
  • 3 large boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into large pieces
  • 1 medium Red onion, chopped
  • 2 medium cloves of Garlic, minced
  • 1 1/2 cup Madeira wine ( I haven't tried this with Marsala, but its possible you could use Sweet Marsala. The recipe should be more sweet tasting than dry.)
  • 1 c Heavy cream
  • 1/2 c Sour cream
  • Butter

Melt butter in a skillet, brown chicken on both sides. Remove from skillet and set aside.

Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package.

In skillet, add a few more turns of the pan of EVOO (extra virgin olive oil).

Add mushrooms, onions and garlic. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Pour in wine. Let simmer for 5 minutes or until liquid has reduced by 2/3rds. Add sour cream and heavy cream; bring to a boil.

Add chicken back to the pan and let simmer for a couple of minutes.

If the liquid isn't reduced by enough, you can, like I did, add cornstarch and water to the mixture for a thickening agent. If you have patience though you might be okay. I, on the other hand, do not.

Remove from heat and toss with pasta. Serve immediately.

2 comments:

Al & Jo said...

For the Pasta Da Vinci, you forgot the mushrooms!!!!

Em said...

I found your site doing a Google search for Pasta Da Vinci and it looks like a good recipe that I want to try. Where do you find Madeira wine though? Is it a cooking wine I can find in the grocery store with Marsala or do I need to go to a Wines & Spirits store (you can't buy alcohol in grocery stores in PA)? Thanks!