Tuesday, September 22, 2026

Cowboy Stew

Photo from Averie Cooks
When I hear the words “Cowboy Stew,” my brain immediately creates a very specific scene: a bunch of rugged, dusty cowboys sitting around a campfire, wearing well-worn hats, drinking from metal cups and digging into something with a spoon. What exactly is in that bowl? Apparently, my imagination never gets that far. For some reason, I always picture biscuits and gravy.

Now that I’ve actually made Cowboy Stew, though, I can absolutely picture a modern-day cowboy sitting around the fire enjoying a bowl of this. And by modern-day cowboy, I mean one who has fully embraced the invention of canned food.

This stew reminds me quite a bit of Hunter’s Stew, another hearty meal built around canned ingredients. Hunter’s Stew earned its name because everything comes from cans, making it an easy meal for hunters to throw together without a lot of fuss.

The Pantry Goat was over for dinner tonight, and this meal is completely her kind of food. And yes, there are definitely leftovers. I thought the stew was hearty, flavorful and exactly the kind of stick-to-your-ribs dinner I was hoping for.

I also added a can of green beans. Why? Honestly, I have no idea. I somehow missed that they weren’t actually on the ingredient list until I was already committed. But it turned out to be a very good accidental decision, and I wouldn’t leave them out next time.

The recipe says it serves eight, but I think you could easily stretch that to 10 if you’re serving it with a salad. I served mine with a simple side salad and garlic bread, and it made for one seriously satisfying dinner.

Cowboy Stew
Recipe from Averie Cooks
Serves 8
  • 1 pound lean ground beef
  • 6 slices bacon, stacked and chopped into bite-sized pieces
  • 12 ounce package Polish sausage or kielbasa, sliced into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced small
  • 3 to 5 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • ¾ pound Yukon gold or red potatoes, diced into 1-inch pieces
  • two 15-ounce cans pinto beans, drained and rinsed
  • one 15-ounce can of corn, do not drain
  • two 10.5-ounce cans Rotel
  • 2 cups reduced sodium beef broth, or as needed
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • Cayenne pepper, optional and to taste
  • Fresh cilantro, for garnishing

To a large Dutch oven, add the ground beef and cook over medium-high heat. Stir and crumble the beef as it cooks to ensure even cooking and browning. After it's done, remove it with a slotted spoon, set it aside, and drain the grease.

Add the bacon to the Dutch oven, and cook until crisp. Stir and flip as it cooks to ensure even cooking and crisping. After it's done, remove it with a slotted spoon, set it on top of the beef; and do not drain the grease this time.

Add the sausage, onions, and cook them in the bacon grease until the sausage has browned and the onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir and flip frequently.

Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, or until fragrant; stir constantly.

Add all remaining ingredients (except the cilantro), and simmer uncovered for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender and done. If the stew is still too brothy, simmer it for additional time so some liquid evaporates. If it's too thick, add additional beef broth, as desired.

Taste the soup and make any necessary flavor and seasoning adjustments. Seasoning Tips - If the soup tastes at all flat, dull, or boring, it likely needs salt, so add some, to taste. I also add about double the above listed quantities of chili powder, smoked paprika, and cumin, and if you like bolder flavors, follow my lead. Cayenne is optional and doesn't make the soup overtly spicy but rather adds depth of flavor. With any spices, always add them to your personal taste preferences.

Garnish with fresh cilantro to really brighten up the flavor profile (or try a squirt of fresh lime juice), and serve immediately. Stew will keep airtight in the fridge for up to 5 days and in the freezer for up to 4 months.

No comments: