Thursday, September 10, 2020

Chicken Shawarma

 When I hear chicken shawarma I'm immediately thrown back to Saudi days when my first shawarma had cold french fries in it and a dill pickle. You'd think that would turn me off, but it didn't. 

Since those days I can't even count how many pounds of chicken shawarma I've had over the years. Some better than other. This recipe seemed like a good one to try. First, I love my air fryer and why not marry that with my love for chicken shawarma.

I chose to not make or by tziki sauce or go with a pita. I put it along side a rice pilaf and tomato salad. 

Chicken Shawarma
Recipe from Every Day Air Fryer Cookbook
Serves 4

2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

1 lb chicken thighs, cut into large bite size chunks
2 T vegetable oil
Tzatziki
Pita bread

Combine the spices.

In a large bowl, toss the chicken, vegetable oil and shawarma spices to coat. Marinate at room temp for 30 min or cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. 

Place chicken in the air fryer basket. Set air fryer to 350F for 15 minutes or until chicken reaches 165F.

Transfer chicken to serving platter. Serve with tzatziki and pita bread.

No comments: