Monday, April 20, 2020

Easy Baked Ranch Pork Chops

I rarely cook pork. But I'm tired of chicken and I shouldn't eat as much beef as I have been eating. So...enter pork.

This recipe looked delicious! The photos on her website set my mouth salivating. My version didn't turn out as good as it looked.

Things I think I did wrong:
1. I didn't use a cast iron. I was too lazy to go down stairs to get my cast iron skillet, so I popped in a "grill" type cookie sheet. My chops did not get a sear or brown in any way.

2. I also didn't read the full recipe. I dumped the entire marinade in and didn't save any for while baking. Not sure it would have mattered at all to be honest.

This really wasn't very flavorful and I had to add salt/pepper before eating. I hate that. I'd rather have my food seasoned correctly so I don't have to add salt/pepper.

I'm not sure I'd try this again. I have so many recipes to try that I doubt I'll ever get to this one again. It's worth a try though.

I chose to saute asparagus with lemon as a side. It was a nice flavor profile for these chops.


Easy Baked Ranch Pork Chops
Recipe From Sweet C's
Photo from SweetCs
See ... her photos make you want to make it.

Serves 4

2 T olive oil
2 T lemon juice
1 packet ranch seasoning
1 tsp fresh cracked pepper
4 1-2" thick pork chops, bone-out
2 T diced chives, optional, to garnish

Remove pork from packaging and pat dry.

Add to bag or bowl.

In a small bowl, combine ranch seasoning, lemon juice, olive oil, and pepper, mix.

Cover pork chops in 1/2 marinade mix. Set 1/2 aside for cooking.

Marinate at least 30 minutes, up to overnight. Refrigerate in airtight container if marinating longer than 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Add heavy, ovenproof skillet to oven. I use cast iron - be sure pan is specifically designed to be safe in oven and that you have a good thick potholder.

If refrigerated overnight, remove pork from fridge and let come to room temperature while oven and pan preheat.

When oven has reached 400 degrees and pan is scorching hot, carefully add pork chops to skillet. I use long handled tongs to reduce risk of burning my hands or arms in the super hot pan and oven!

Bake for four minutes.

Flip pork chops and spoon the reserved ranch sauce on both sides of pork chops.

Bake another four minutes.

Check your pork's internal temperature. When pork reaches 145 (about 8 minutes, but remember, pork cooking times can vary wildly based on oven, thickness of pork, altitude, etc.) it is ready to come out of oven.

Rest pork for at least 3 minutes after baking before cutting and serving.

Garnish with fresh diced chives if desired.

Enjoy!

No comments: