Monday, March 18, 2019

Summer Chicken Parmesan


So you all know I love to cook. And you all know I need to lose weight. The two often fight each other. I love my comfort foods and I love to eat. The key, for me, has always been balance. And I've never been good at that.

I've been down this road before and when I get to when I'm willing to try again, I ride that motivation wave for as long as I can. I started getting Cooking Light magazine a hundred years ago and have collected several recipes. Today, however, I discovered a Cooking Light Diet Plan. It offers up those recipes I love and lets me modify as I need.

Tonight I made the first dinner that shuffled through. I only made a couple minor modifications to this.

The first being I couldn't find Whole Wheat Bread Crumbs, so I used what I had.
The second is, I'm not a fan of warmed tomatoes (that aren't already pulverized and in sauce). So I sauted the zucchini then let it cool to room temp. Then put the tomatoes, zuchini and basil together for a side salad. Oh and I added some cucumber to that mix, cuz I had it.



Summer Chicken Parmesan
Recipe from Cooking Light
Photo from Cooking Light

Makes 2 Servings (serving size: 1 cutlet and about 3/4 cup vegetables)


  • 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 cup plain whole-wheat breadcrumbs
  • 2 (4-ounce) chicken breast cutlets
  • 1/4 teaspoon plus a dash of kosher salt, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
  • Cooking spray
  • 1 1/2 ounces part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1/3 cup)
  • 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped zucchini (about 1 medium)


  1. Preheat broiler with oven rack in middle position. Place flour, egg, and breadcrumbs in separate shallow dishes. Sprinkle chicken with 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour; dip in egg, and dredge in breadcrumbs.
  2. Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add cutlets; cook 1 minute on each side. Place on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray.
  3. Top cutlets with cheese; broil 1 1/2 minutes. Heat remaining oil in skillet. Add zucchini; sauté 1 minute. Add remaining dash of salt, tomatoes, and garlic; sauté 4 minutes. Serve with chicken, and top with basil.
398 calories
  • CARBOHYDRATE 25.0g
  • CHOLESTEROL 143.0mg
  • FIBER 4.0g
  • PROTEIN 37.0g
  • SODIUM 521.0mg
  • FAT 16.2g
  • SATURATED_FAT 4.5g
  • MONOUNSATURATED_FAT 7.4g
  • POLYUNSATURATED_FAT 2.0g
  • CALCIUM 191.0mg 
  • IRON 1.0mg
  • SUGARS 3.0g 

No comments: