Sunday, December 11, 2016

Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup

I bought myself an Instant Pot this year. I have yet to use the pressure cooker side of it. Instead, I've been using the crockpot part of it. Fall/Winter is crock pot season to me. A soup even makes it better.

This is a "just ok" soup. Don't get me wrong, it was delicious. Its just not my favorite and with so many other recipes to make, I most likely won't make this again.

Slow Cooker Beef Barley Soup
Recipe from TipHero
Photo from Yourhomebasedmom.com


 1-½ to 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, diced into 1-inch pieces
4 medium carrots, diced into ½-inch pieces
1 small onion, diced small
3 stalks celery, diced small
6 cloves garlic, minced
2 quarts beef broth, divided
1-½ teaspoons dried thyme
1 – 15-ounce can diced tomatoes
¾ cup barley, rinsed
Salt and pepper, to taste


Generously season the cubed beef with salt and pepper.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add about half of the oil. Working in batches, sear beef on all sides, using more oil as needed. Transfer the seared beef to a 6-quart slow cooker.

Return the skillet to the heat and add 1 cup of beef broth. Heat to a boil and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the pan, then add to slow cooker.

Add the potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, garlic, thyme, diced tomatoes, barley and remaining beef broth to the slow cooker. Stir to combine.

Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.

Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with fresh parsley or thyme.

No comments: