Monday, May 9, 2016

Mediterranean Pork Shoulder

The local store had pork shoulder on sale for $1.99/lb...which is crazy cheap. So I picked me up one.

Now as a single person, a pork shoulder could feed me for the entire week, and some friends. But it freezes well and there are so many "other" recipes I can make after having pulled pork.

This recipe was easy and delicious. The ONLY thing I'd change is I wouldn't put the kalamata olives in from the beginning. They get kinda mushy. I would however, put the juice in. I think that flavor is fantastic.

I think I had closer to a 3.5 lb roast and I didn't change anything with the measurements. The pork gives off plenty of liquid.

Mediterranean Pork Shoulder
Recipe from emeals
Serves 4 (or more)

2 lb boneless pork shoulder roast
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 cup chicken broth
1 (14.5-oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
½ cup pitted kalamata olives
2 tsp dried oregano
4 cloves garlic, chopped
¼ cup chopped fresh basil

Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add pork. Cook 3 minutes per side or until browned.

Transfer to a 5- to 7-quart slow cooker. Add broth, tomatoes, olives, oregano and garlic. Cover and cook on LOW 7 to 8 hours or until very tender.

Shred pork with two forks, and toss in sauce to coat. Stir in basil. Divide into 4 servings.

No comments: