Sunday, October 6, 2013

Chicken Noodle Soup

I've been craving homemade chicken noodle soup a lot lately. We hit a cold front here in  Seattle and when fall and the chill comes into town, I feel a strong pull to make comfort food like soup.

I didn't have a good recipe so I went on to Tasty Kitchen and managed to put a couple of recipes together into one.  At the end of the day, this is what I came up with. Oh, and I was tasty.

It made enough to have some for lunch/dinner tomorrow and the  next day, and the next day, and the day after that.  I won't be doing that of course. But I'll be freezing several servings. 

Chicken Noodle Soup
Serves 6 - give or take
Photo courtesy of Jenn Wraspir

2 T vegetable oil
2 carrots, sliced into bite size pieces
2 stalks, sliced into bite size pieces
6 c chicken broth (I started with only 4 cups, but I had more viddles than soup, so added chicken broth to make it soup again)
1 onion chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 package egg noodles
2 cooked chicken breasts, shredded
2 bay leaves
1 tsp poultry seasoning
salt and pepper to taste

Heat the vegetable oil in a large stock pot over medium heat. Add carrots, celery and onion. Sweat the vegetables for 10 minutes, without letting them brown.  Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds. Add chicken broth and bay leaves.  Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 15 minutes.  Add egg  noodles and cook until done.  Add chicken to heat it through.  Add salt and pepper to taste and poultry seasoning. Cook for 5 minutes longer.

Remove bay leaves and serve.

No comments: