Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Cilantro-Buttermilk Skirt Steak

This past Sunday I hosted a small gathering for Easter with just family. I like ham, but am not a huge fan of ham for Easter. I know, weird. I figured I could be as different as I wanted. 

For days leading up to Sunday I couldn't figure out what I wanted to make.  It wasn't until Sunday morning that I found this recipe in my list of recipes to try.

The recipe itself was ubber easy.  And ultimately super flavorful. I misread the recipe and didn't get the scallions at the store.  In its place I used onion powder. I don't think that added enough onion flavor.  When I make this again I'll definitely get the scallions.

I also couldn't find any skirt steak. Naturally.  Instead I used flank steak. I'm don't think which beef, or chicken, product you use really matters with this marinade.

Cilantro-Buttermilk Skirt Steak
Photo courtesy of Everyday Food
Recipe from Everyday Food
Serves 4

1 cu buttermilk
1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
1 tsp coriander seed
1/2 tsp curry powder
3 scallions, roughly chopped
1 pound skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
Vegetable oil, for grilling
Salt and pepper

In a blender, combine buttermilk, cilantro, coriander seed, curry powder, and scallions and puree. Reserve 1/2 cup marinade for serving. Pour half the remaining marinade into a shallow dish, arrange steak in a single layer, and cover with rest of marinade; let sit 30 to 45 minutes

Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high. Clean and lightly oil hot grill. Remove steak from marinade, shaking off excess, and season with salt and pepper. Grill steak until browned, 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest 5 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain. Season reserved marinade with salt and pepper and serve with sliced steak.

No comments: