Monday, May 7, 2012

Chorizo con Queso

Cheesy dips are one of my major downfalls.  Its one of the many reasons I'm current losing weight.  Still, on my "free" days I find myself reaching for a cheese of some sort.

This dip is a take on the standard Velveeta and rotel tomatoes recipe everyone has seen on the TV.  The difference is this has chorizo in it.  Which adds a certain amount of extra UMPH to this recipe. 

When I make this again, I'll actually consider putting in taco flavored ground beef. The chorizo, while delicious, made it a bit too salty.  Velveeta is already LOADED with sodium, the chorizo put it over the top. It didn't stop me from eating it. It just made me more thirsty.

I also got the Mexican flavored Velveeta to add a bit more zing to it.  Not sure it added any more zing to it, so I added a dash of hot sauce for good measure.

Enjoy!

Photo by Tasty Kitchen

Chorizo con Queso
Recipe from Tasty Kitchen
Serves 8 - easily

1/2 lb ground chorizo
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 lb Velveeta, cut into cubes
1 can Rotel Tomatoes with green chilies
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
1 small jalapeno, finely chopped
2 T milk
2 T light sour cream

In medium saucepan, cook the chorizo and onions. Remove when chorizo is nice and brown.

In a large crock pot on high heat, add cheese, Rotel tomatoes, garlic, and jalapeno. Add the chorizo and stir. Let the mixture sit for 5–8 minutes.

Stir and add the milk and sour cream. Let it stand for another 5–8 minutes.

Stir one last time; cheese should be melted by now.

Serve and garnish with cilantro

No comments: