Monday, September 12, 2011

Smokey Indoor Ribs

On my other blog I wrote a post about my dad being the master of BBQ ribs. We used to joke that the rib recipe was my dowry.  At least I think we were joking.

Anyhow, I thought I'd try my hand at ribs for the September Sunday dinner. Boy am I glad I did.

These ribs are FANTASTIC!  Incredibly flavorful, sticky and tender. It does take about 3 hours to make, but low and slow is the answer for these babies.

So don't be afraid. Go out, buy some pork ribs and have yourself a feast.

Photo by Cook's Country
Smokey Indoor Ribs
Recipe from Cook's Country Oct/Nov 2011
Serves 4-6

Ribs braising mixture:
  • 2T instant espresso powder
  • 2T liquid smoke (I used the hickory flavor)
  • 1T salt
  • 2 racks (about 2.5 to 3 lbs) pork spareribs

BBQ Sauce:
  • 1T vegetable oil
  • 1 onion, chopped fine
  • Salt and pepper
  • 1T smoked paprika
  • 1 1/2 c low sodium chicken broth
  • 3/4 c cider vinegar
  • 3/4 c dark corn syrup
  • 3/4 c ketchup
  • 1/2 c molasses
  • 2T brown mustard
  • 1T hot sauce
  • 1T instant espresso powder
  • 1/2 tsp liquid smoke

For the ribs braising liquid:
Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300F.  Bring 3 cups water, and ingredients for the ribs braising mixture to a boil in a saucepan. Pour mixture into large roasting pan. Place ribs,meat side down, in liquid. Cover pan tightly with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours.

For BBQ Sauce:
Meanwhile, make the BBQ sauce. Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until shimmering. Add onion and salt to taste.  Cook until softened, about 5minutes.  Add paprika and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.  Add the remaining ingredients for BBQ sauce EXCEPT liquid smoke. Let it come to a simmer. Let it simmer and reduce down for about 50 to 60 minutes. The mixture should be thick and sticky.

When it's reduced, stir in the liquid smoke. Add salt and pepper to taste if needed.

Reserve 1/2 cup sauce for serving.

Remove ribs from the roasting pan and transfer, meat side up, to a wire rack set in a foil-lined rimmed baking sheet; discard braising liquid.

Brush both sides of ribs with sauce. Bake until tender and fork inserted into meat meets no resistance, about 1 1/2 hours. Brush meat side with BBQ sauce every 30 minutes.

When done, pull from the oven and let stand for 30 minutes. Brush them one last time with reserve BBQ sauce. (or do what I did, I cut them after they sat for 30  minutes, and then brushed them with the BBQ sauce.)

No comments: