Sunday, February 6, 2011

Game Day Delights

I specifically had a Superbowl party because I was craving nachos...and I had to make my nachos.  They are delicious and worth every calorie....

Game Day Nachos

Pick your favorite tortilla chip. I use strip chips because they load more crap...I mean goodies on them.

  • 1 lb chorizo
  • 1 cup sliced olives
  • 1 cup sour cream
  • 3-4 cups cheese
  • 1 can Spicy Refried Beans
  • 1 jar picante sauce

Cook up the chorizo. Drain it. I usually put it on a paper towel to get all the excess grease out of it...why does it have to be so delicious and so greasy.

On a big baking sheet, put down the chips.  I cover the baking sheet pretty thoroughly.

Top with chorizo, refried beans and cheese.

Pop it in a 425F oven...watch it for when the cheese starts to bubble and brown.

When you bring them out, top with olives, picante sauce and sour cream. I think green onions would also be good, but I didn't have them.

After the game, we had the below recipe.   Let me just say, it was fan-freakin-tastic.  We were all silent suddenly because the sandwiches were so good.

Minute Steak Hoagies with Homemade Steak Sauce

Serves 4
  • 1large Shallot, coarsely chopped
  • 1 Red Holland or Fresno chili pepper
  • 2 cloves Garlic
  • 2 Bay leaf
  • 1 teaspoon Mustard seed or dry mustard
  • 1/4 cup Dry sherry
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Black peppercorn
  • 1 cup Ketchup
  • 2 tablespoons Soy or Tamari sauce
  • 1 cup Beef stock
  • 1 tablespoon Oil
  • 1 1/4 pounds Flank steak
  • 4 Hoagie roll

You can make the steak sauce ahead of time.  For the sauce: In food processor bowl, combine the shallot, chili, garlic, bay leaves, mustard seed, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and peppercorns, process into a smooth paste. Place the flavor paste in a pot and combine with the ketchup, soy, and stock. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer and cook 30 minutes. Cool and refrigerate for make-ahead meal. JW Note:  I strained the sauce. I didn't like the look of it and the consistency of it, so I strained the sauce...and it was silky and delicious.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F to crisp the bread.

Reheat the sauce over medium-low heat if you made it ahead of time.

Place the flank steak in the freezer 5 minutes or until cold. Remove and shred or cut the cold flank steak against the grain. Throw the bread in the oven to crisp it up. In a skillet, heat the high-temperature oil over high heat until it smokes. Add the meat and toss 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and combine with warm sauce. (I added the caramelized onions here). Cut the rolls open and stuff the hoagies with meat/onions and hot-n-saucy steak.
 
Side Note: I caramelized 3 onions and added them to the sandwiches too. It really added to the flavor.

No comments: