Thursday, July 3, 2008

Beef Bolognese

Last week I got 4 new cookbooks from Cuisine at Home. I heart Cuisine at Home. It's my favorite magazine ever and they do some damn good cookbooks.

I'm a huge fan of Bolognese. Whenever I get a chance, I try a new recipe. Tonight I tried a speedy Bolognese. I wasn't sure it would have that all day taste that I love in standard Bolognese. But I was pleasantly surprised that it did have that taste and then some.

Beef Bolognese
Makes 6 cups

Brown in 1 T Olive oil:
  • 1 lb ground chuck
  • 1/2 lb Italian sausage

Add and saute:
  • 1/2 cup each onion, carrot, and celery - all grated or diced finely
  • 3 T tomato paste
  • 1 T garlic, minced
  • 1 Bay leaf

Deglaze and reduce; Stir in:
  • 1 cup dry red wine
  • 1 can crushed tomatoes (14.5 oz)
  • 1 cup Heavy cream
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Garnish with:
Chopped fresh parsley
Grated parmesan

Brown ground beef and sausage in oil in a sauté pan over medium-high heat for 5 minutes.

Add onions, carrots, celery, tomato paste, garlic and bay leaf. Sauté until onions soften, about 5 minutes.

Deglaze the pan with wine; bring to a boil and simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in tomatoes and cream and simmer over medium heat for 15-20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

Serve over spaghetti.

Garnish with parmesan and parsley.

No comments: