Monday, August 20, 2007

Yakitori

It's been a while since I actually posted a recipe let alone actually cook a new one. This week the recipe of the week is Yakitori. Now, I'm not a big fan of sake, but in this marinade it kicks ass.

Yakitori
Courtesy of MyRecipes
Servings 4

  • 1/4 c sake
  • 1/4 c low sodium soy sauce
  • 3 T sugar (I used brown sugar instead of white sugar and I think it added a nice flavor to it. I think honey would be good too.)
  • 2T grated peeled ginger
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes ( I used 1/2 tsp and it was fine)
  • 2 cloves garlic minced

Mix the above together in a sauce pan. Heat to a boil. Allow to boil at a rolling boil until liquid reduces to 1/4 cup. Remove from heat and cool.

1 lb skinless chicken thighs cut into bite size pieces (I'm not a dark meat fan so I used chicken tenders)
5 green onions, cut into 4 2" pieces

Combine the soy sauce mixture with chicken, cover and marinate for 1 hour. Heat a large grill pan over medium high heat. Thread 6 chicken cubes and 5 green onion pieces alternately onto a skewer. Brush kebabs with soy mixture. Grill.

No comments: